As a veterinarian, the care you provide for an animal is only part of the journey you go on with your clients. Offering pet loss support, and delivering pet sympathy messages when the time comes is a crucial element of that care journey.
Welcoming, nurturing and supporting all clients through every stage of their pet’s life is imperative to sustained customer relationships. Showing that you understand their pain and sense of loss goes a long way.
You may be the very first person your client speaks to after their pet dies, so it is important to listen intently and acknowledge that what they’re saying, and feeling is valuable.
The right amount of support after the loss of a pet
When it is time for you to offer your condolences and support, consider this:
- A friendly tone builds trust: it lets customers know that you consider them an important member of your practice, not just another number on your books.
- Genuine compassion helps you build and maintain relationships: A third of customers will leave a business that they love after just a single bad experience. Stay ahead of the curve by always providing proactive support and continually nurturing relationships.
- Creating the mood improves all interactions: open, honest conversations upfront show your clients they can feel comfortable speaking with you and your team within that emotional and mental space.
Finding the right words
Sending a pet sympathy card is a good idea, particularly if you haven’t seen your client face-to-face. But finding the right words to write on a card can be difficult.
Pet bereavement quotes
There are many famous quotes about the loss of a pet. Using the words of others to show your support, can provide a poignant and meaningful option when you are struggling to find something to write. Some of our favourite quotes are:
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”
- Anatole France
“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ~ Dr Seuss
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” ~ Roger Caras
You can use these quotes on their own, or to lead into a more personalised message about your client’s pet.
Pet sympathy messages
Even if you know your clients well, you might still find yourself lost for words. We have taken the care to create some original pet sympathy messages that we’d like to share with you:
- You had the most amazing friend by your side for such a long time, the feeling of losing a precious pet like ____(pet’s name) must be devastating. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
- This is such a difficult time, during which loss and heartache can be overwhelming. May you find comfort in knowing you are not alone; you are surrounded by those who care for you.
- It was truly a pleasure to have cared for (pet’s name) ______. He/she was a true character. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support your during this difficult time.
Offering grief support services
If you offer grief support services, a simple message to offer this service and give your client one less thing to think about can help. For example, a text message saying:
Some people say grief is the pain of loving so much. To help ease your burden as you deal with your loss, we can assist you with a range of grief services. Call us if you’d like us to make some arrangements.
More gorgeous messages can be found in our third edition of Lost for Words.
The team at Vet Stationery Supplies can help you with many ways to show your clients that you care. Contact us today to find out how.